Sunday, February 6, 2011

Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician...and more!

If you're wondering why I haven't updated in a couple months (yeah, I know you were counting the days) it's because I've been immersed in a WEMT course just outside of Yosemite, California. Pretty full-on: 50+ hours in class, studying, or doing clinical rotations.

That's me assembling an O2 tank and regulator, blindfolded.


An improvised long-bone fracture splint.



One of the many days in class.


I COMMAND THEE TO GET BETTER!
Our instructor Daniel demonstrating the Trauma Patient Assessment.



The improvised litter.
Ryan gets to be toted around like a piece of luggage.



Rob inspecting the checklist while being double-traction splinted.


The class left me feeling more prepared, medically, than I have from other courses in the past; now, with the right equipment, I have the know-how to effectively stabilize serious medical and trauma patients.

Some other things I learned in the month since the course ended:

First skiing experience ever:
Cross-country for the day in Yosemite


Figured out how to lay a tile floor with my friend Jesse.

OK, that's all for now. I will have some updates soon on making your own energy bars and also an attempt at making noise-cancelling headphones. Keep your eye-balls peeled!


El Portal, California.
New snow at 5,500' while I split wood in a t-shirt at 2,000'.

1 comment: