Friday, February 5, 2010

Wooden Gymnastic Rings

I made these beautiful rings from roughly 20 plies of birch plywood (no, I didn't make the plywood from scratch). That is, a piece of 1/4" birch plywood sandwiched between two pieces of 1/2". The process goes roughly as such:
1. make 9" square blanks
2. glue and press them


3. cut the outer circle (bandsaw)


4. cut the inner circle (power drill and jigsaw)
5. light sanding inside (spindle sander) and outside (bench sander)
6. round over the edges (table router)
7. patch holes with wood filler
8. hand sand until the cows come home


9. 2 coats of spar varnish (working on this last step, I don't have a good place to dry them at the moment)

8 comments:

  1. Propose to your girlfriend with one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. super! how long did it take to make them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The short answer is: Too long.

    A really rough estimate might be 6 hours per pair. I made 10 pairs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering how these were made. And now I know.

    Love the blog, thanks so much. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You used epoxy or just ordinary wood glue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Barney, I used Titebond I wood glue.

      Delete